Photos Displayed at Centenary Exhibition (2010)

You are here:
The Rt. Rev. Nathaniel Temple Hamlyn, D. D. Bishop of Accra - Founder of Adisadel College

1910 January 4th


The school was opened on Tuesday January 4th 1910.

There was a celebration of Holy Communion in Christ Church at 7.30 am. The service was well attended.


At 3.45 pm a Dedication Service was held in Christ Church after which an at Home was given at the Church House by the Right Reverend Bishop and Mrs Hamlyn to meet the School Governors, the Church Officials and all who have interested themselves in the starting of the school.


At 5 o’clock the School was officially opened by the Lord Bishop of Accra. There were present (the undersigned)

Some students pose with their tutors
St Nicholas Grammar School - Head Master, Alan Knight and Assistant Head Master, S. R. S Nicholas in Conference. The students are wearing the school blazer introduced in 1924. It was the first ever blazer in the history of secondary schools in the country.
St. Nicholas Grammar School – students pose for a picture on a Saturday before a major Examination.
St. Nicholas Grammar School – Coaching of the school Cricketers by the Sports Master. The School’s Cricket team won the National Inter Collegiate Cricket Competition in 1965 and successfully defended it in 1966.
St. Nicholas Grammar School - School Sports 1933
St. Nicholas Grammar School 1933 – The students are clearing the site at Adisadel for the construction of the new school. The students started cutting the road to the new school site on 6th July , 1929.
Adisadel – Students carrying concrete stones from the quarry.
Adisadel - Students Breaking concrete stones.
Adisadel - Students mixing concrete.
Adisadel - Preparing materials for blocks
Adisadel - Making blocks.

On May 5th 1933 the following 22 students made the first set of 22 cement blocks under the supervision of C. B. Sey.


  1. The Headmaster
  2. M. Kodwo-Ababio (Construction Master)
  3. Botchway, A. M. T. Head Prefect
  4. Gardiner, R (Second Prefect)
  5. Quartey, E. E. (Last years Head Prefect)
  6. Adjei, S. M.
  7. Vanderpuiye, J. Q
  8. Amanoh, J. C. K
  9. Barnor, J. C.
  10. Asiedu, J. P
  11. Hagan, K.A
  12. Kyerematen, A. A. Y
  13. Derby, J. K.
  14. Arthur, J. B
  15. Newton, J.K
  16. Dwobeng, K
  17. Amoakoh, J. B.
  18. Bannerman, J
  19. Fynn, I.M.
  20. Asamoah, S. A
  21. Amuah, K. A
  22. Amavih, G. S

   (Extracts from the School Log Book)

Approach Road to Adisadel hill from the village.
Mr. & Mrs. John Buckman
Adisadel - Carpenters shed.
16th August, 1933. The walls of the first building (Hamlyn House) are rising upon its foundation. John Buckman arrowed
Adisadel –September, 1936, only three years after cutting the sod by Sir Shenton Thomas. KCMG. OBE
Telegram – Adisadel First School Day.
This address was presented by The Members of the Board of Governors of Adisadel College To His Excellency Sir Arnold Wienholt Hodson K.C.M. G. Governor & Commander-in-Chief of the Gold Coast and it’s Dependencies on the occasion of the Official Opening of the College, At Cape Coast, Gold Coast, West Africa on Monday 21st December, 1936.
This Address of Congratulation Was presented by The Members of the Board of Governors of Adisadel College To The Reverend Father John Alan Knight MA LLB Headmaster of Adisadel College On the occasion of the Official Opening of the College At Cape Coast, Gold Coast, West Africa on Monday, 21st. December, 1936
THIS ADDRESS OF WELCOME Was presented by The Members of the Board of Governors of Adisadel College To HIS LORDSHIP RIGHT REVEREND JOHN ORFEUR AGLIONBY DDMC LORD BISHOP OF ACCRA, Chairman of Board of Governors on the occasion of the Official Opening of the College at Cape Coast Gold Coast, West Africa on Monday 21st. December, 1936
Acropolis – Residence of the Headmaster as it looks today. It was first constructed alongside other buildings in the school in the 1930’s
Match Box Hill – Residence of Tutors
The elegant School Chapel - St Nicholas Chapel. Its architect was Mr. John Cox. In 1936 he won the Gold Medal of the Royal Academy in a competition for the design of a church and he gave his plans as his gift to Adisadel. It was first used on 6th March 1938, the first Sunday in Lent. The celebrant and preacher was Father Elliott, the first old boy of the college to become a priest.
The imposing Clock and Bell Tower. The construction was a gift from the contractor, Mr. Nino Micheletti, who completed the buildings on the hill
A visitor coming up the School from the main road from Adisadel Village is welcomed by the School Fountain constructed by Nino Michelleti. The fishes in it are named “Awotwi Babies” after the Master, Mr. J. K. Awotwi, who first introduced the ornamental fishes into the pond.
Youthful Mr. Awotwi
Adisadel College: 1938 Frontal view of Hamlyn, Quaque and Elliott Houses showing the clock tower
Adisadel in 2010 Road behind Elliott towards Hamlyn House
Rev. Father C. Elliott, a member of the 1910 year group and the first Santaclausian to go into Priesthood. Elliott House was named after him.
Rear view of Knight House showing concrete slab on which a telephone booth stood in the sixties, The House was named after Rev. Alan Knight, Headmaster of the school 1929 -1937
The Alan Knight Trophy
A. J. Knight - Headmaster from 1929 – 1937. He was very instrumental in putting up the new buildings on the hill and moving the St Nicholas Grammar School from Topp Yard to the Adisadel Hill.
Adisadel 2010 showing Canterbury Hall , Classroom buildings and the Dining Hall behind the Clock Tower
A view of the classroom blocks from the dining Hall towards Canterbury Hall and the Administration block
Canterbury House.
Canterbury Hall was named after His Grace The Lord Archbishop of Canterbury – Cosmo Gordon Lang in 1936 “in token of his personal care for the school and of his Blessings to all its members”
The Refurbished Dining Hall
This new classroom block was declared open in March 2008 by the Vice president of Ghana, Alhaji Aliu Mahama, who was the Special Guest of Honour on the occasion of the Speech and Prize Giving Day.
A view from Canterbury Hall overlooking the Adisadel village. The Saint Augustine’s School Tower can be seen in the distance before the sea
Katanga built in the early1960’s Jubilee House (foreground) Quaque House (middle) and Aglionby House with its master’s flat (background).
The Right Rev. John Orfeur Aglionby
Thomas Jonah House – built by Sir Sam Jonah, a Santaclausian in honour of his late father in 19xx
Ebradzie – Lemaire House
A mathematics Class in 1955
An art class in 1956. In the background is an artists impression of Charles Van Dycke, who as a student of Adisadel, represented the Gold Coast in High Jump in 1950 when the country first participated in the Commonwealth Games in England. He is now a retired Diplomat.
Students performing an experiment in the Physics Lab in 1960
Students in the biology laboratory in 1960
1946 Speech Day – ROGETS THESAURUS OF ENGLISH WORDS AND PHRASES presented to John Buckman
1955 Speech Day “Above all don’t become know all’s, for nothing is more objectionable and nothing makes one look more of a fool. Education makes us humble and tolerant” – Osagyefo Dr. Kwame Nkrumah, First President of Ghana. Address to boys at Adisadel College during the speech and prize giving day – 10th. November, 1955 – (Text) Axioms of Kwame Nkrumah
A. A. Afrifa who on 24th February, 1966 together with other military personnel overthrew the Nkrumah regime is seen here receiving a best students prize from the Prime Mimister Dr. Kwame Nkrumah during the speech day of 1955
1985 Speech Day “I earnestly hope that the School will perpetuate its vital traditions and continue to afford its pupils the kind of education that will make them concerned members of a demanding society.” Flt.-Lt J. J. Rawlings being led in the picture by W. C. Stanley – Pierre Board Chairman, 1990 – 2000, Behind them in white shirt is Ato Dadzie – Chief Of Staff
President J. A. Kuffour who on the occasion of commissioning the Centenary building in 2007 greeting Ebo Daniel and members of the Board
2004 – Speech Day Chief Justice George Kingsley Acquah, an old Santaclausian assisted by Mr. Kitson, Headmaster from 1995 to 2004, inspects a guard of honour mounted by the School Cadet Corps on 13th March 2004 during the Speech Day.
2007 - Speech Day The Speaker of Parliament Mr. Sekyi Hughes, an old Santaclausian, delivering his Speech as the Guest Speaker
Mr. Robert Thompson Orleans–Pobee, the First Ghanaian Headmaster of Adisadel College. He served from 1963 to 1974. He is undoubtedly the most popular Headmaster in the post colonial era
1984 Author of Reminiscences of Adisadel, G. Maclean Amissah in the middle. Holding aloft two copies of the book is Sam Wood a representative of Afram Publications, publishers of the Book.
Giving out a prize to a deserving student is the Domestic Bursar for many generations Mrs. Rachael Lokko. Assisting her is a tutor in English at the school Mr. Bernard Adom, a Santaclausian.
2009 Speech and prize giving day. From left to right are Mr. Fifi Mercer an old boy, Mr. Atuahene the Guest Speaker and an accomplished athlete in his school days, Nana Prempeh a representative of the Asantehene
The Queen Mother of Oguaa, nobly climbs the steps leading to the Headmasters office in the Administration Block
Mr. Asiedu-Gyimah 94th Speech and Prize Giving Day in 2004. The Acting Headmaster Mr. Asiedu-Gyimah shares his joy with his audience.
Mr. Hammond Mr. Hammond (PTA Chairman ) during the 94th Speech and Prize Giving Day in 2004
13th March 2004-Miss Stella Coleman. Receiving the best Worker’s prize from Mr. Seth Dzordzorme, an old Santaclausian and a representative of the 1979 year group which hosted the speech Day.
This young student receives his prize for work well done
In 2004 Master Nimako K . Twum (l) the new Head Prefect received the staff of office from Master Smart Abbey the outgoing Head Prefect.
A view of a section of invited guests to a speech day. In the second row from front is Mr. Charles Techie-Menson. He participated in the building of the first few structures of the school on the hill. He was the captain of the Knight House cricket team which won the famous Allan Knight trophy on its first presentation to the school in 1939. He is now a retired Agriculturist. Behind him is Mr. Wilson-Tagoe an old boy and a former Assistant Headmaster
Ushers 2005 –Speech and Prize Giving Day - “They also serve who only stand and wait.” – Milton’s sonnet XV
1982 Cement Party The Cement Party. It was instituted during the building of the school in the early 1930’s . After a hard days work the student builders, soaked gari with water and salt in the cleaned head pans they used in carrying the concrete which they drank. It is celebrated annually on the Founders day which is the Sunday following the Speech and Prize Giving day. – It’s symbolism is the spirit of self help. deprivation and sacrifice
Cement Party
Hooting at Hunger Adisadel students saying “No” to poverty by marking World Poverty Day in 2008
The Head Prefect and House Prefects of the School (1944) Sitting on the right of the Head Prefect E, Hornsby- Odoi (centre) is E. N. Agbetor B. A., Dip. Ed. (Lond.) Acting Headmaster and on his left Albert Hammond, B. A., Dip Ed. (Lond.) Senior House Master.
The Board of Governors - 1985 (From left to right) Mr. S. H. Anancy, Mr. E. A. B. Mayne, Mr. James Mercer, Mr. E. R. Hayford, Dr. H. Mercer-Ricketts, Nana Awudu Amanfo II, Mr. C. K. Annan.
Headmaster from 1980-1990 Mr. R. Ayitey, seated in the middle, with tutors of the School.
Headmaster H. K. K. Graham - front row, 6th right - and the teaching staff, 2010
Some old Santaclausians with the Headmaster, some staff and a section of the student body, 2010
In 1967 prior to their departure from school, Nii Anum Telfer (2nd right of the 1970 Year Group) was invited by his seniors, some members of the 1967 Year Group to pose with them in this group picture L – R. Tim Brew, Charles Ayensu, Paa Nico Luttrodt, Ansah (Lopido Lorgan), Tetteh, Quaye H. I. , S. Robertson, “ Sweetie” Blankson, Olu Assani.
1970 year group – (Nii Anum Telfer – Back row extreme left) Picture taken in 1965 with prefects who are seated. L-R Hughes, Cato Brown, Quao, Otuteye (Head prefect), E. T. Tagoe, G. B. Solomon, Charles Anipare, Hagan and Solomon Abam Quartey.
Memorable picture taken in 1966. First Year in Adisco of the 1971 Year Group. Seated are Prefects and some seniors seated 2nd l-r Bekoe, Kwateng, Alfred Dodoo, Richardson(Head Prefect) Saba Quao, Ricky Telfer, Gaisie, Aryeetey, Charles Ayensu
The School Orchestra The first ever students Orchestra in the country. D.R Essah The Music Master
Formed in 1963 The Adisadel Senior Jazz Band is the first ever students jazz band in the country (1. Harris Doku, 2. Henry Tabi, 3. Dave Godfrey (Founder, Band Leader and tutor), 4 allotey Kpakpo 5. Asua Kwesi, 6.Percy Amarteifio, 7Kweku Bentil. 8. Bobo Yartey, 9. Johnny Djokoto, 10Andy Roberts 11patrick Gilbertson Yartey, 12. Ricky Telfer) Academic excellence was a prerequisite for admission into the band.
The Adisadel Junior Jazz Band L-R - Johnny Djokoto, Ken Echill, Mercer B. H, Paa Kobina Yankah, Olu Akiwumi - Assani, Sampson Kweku, Quaye H. I. (Ato Ray), Blankson W. E (Sweetie), Sam Mensah. On Vocals (L)Tete Kweku Bentil (R) Quartey (My heart is coming)
Father and son, Ghanaba (r) and Glenn in a Drums Battle. The influence of Ghanaba is significant in the history of the Adisadel Jazz. Ghanaba was a regular guest at of the annual Adisadel Jazz Festivals. The Jubilee House Common Room , Ghanaba Hall, was named after him.
The Bachelor Boys – The first ever all Students Pop Group in the Country - Carl Ricky Telfer (l) Guitar, Banahene (2nd. L)Rhythm Guitar, Glenn (Ghanababa) Warren (drums) Dave Eddie Sogah (2nd r) Bass and (r) Percy Amarteifio (Rhythm Guitar)
Adisadel is a culturally aware institution and on 13th March 1982 this charged band is seen entertaining the audience with folk music.
In the 1930’s Concert Party Theatre tradition in Ghana, where female roles were played by males, these student actors were caught on camera in a drama sketch on stage in 2009. In 1968 the first Drama Festival involving secondary schools in Cape Coast was held at Adisadel.
The 1971 Inter Colleges Athletic team displaying trophies they had won.
Champions - 1971 Eliott House 4 x 100 quartet. L-R Fiifi Coleman, Ebow Gaisie, Raphael Odei-Tetteh (Man Raot) and Adu-Gyamfi. : Gaisie and Raot are seen displaying trophies they had won in individual events. (Raot in Pole Vault)
Standing far right is the Games Master, Jerry Hanson, with the lawn tennis players
13th March, 1982 - “Don’t mess with a Santa” says the student with this amazing flying kick, breaking a board held high by the one sitting on the shoulders of another student.
On 11th. July, 1959 Lft. C. T. Anderson inaugurated the cadet corps. The cadets are here on 1st. August, 1959 taking instructions on how to handle fire arms.
The School Cadet corps on parade in 1983
Adisco - Mfantsipim Fun Games. 1950-59 year group team members of the two schools pose for a shot on 3rd July, 1992 at the El Wak Stadium when the games was started
The Centenary Celebration was launched with a mass celebrated at the Christ Church Cathedral, Cape Coast on 4th January 2010. Bishops in attendance were from left to right, Rt Rev. Edmund Dawson Amoah, Suffragan Bishop of Dunkwa, Rt. Rev. Francis B. Quashie, Bishop of Koforidua, Rt. Rev. Daniel Y. Safo, Bishop of Kumasi, Rt. Rev. Emmanuel A. Arongo, Bishop of Tamale, Most Rev. Dr. J. O. Akrofi, Archbishop of C.P.W.A., Rt. Rev. D. S. Allotey, Bishop of Cape Coast, Rt. Rev Mathias Medadeus-Badohu, Bishop of Ho, Rt. Rev. (Col) John K. Otoo, Bishop of Sekondi, Rt. Rev. Abraham Ackah, Bishop of Wiawso, Rt. Rev Dr. Festus Y. Asuamah, Bishop Sunyani.
The construction of the Centenary resource centre in progress, June 2010.